1. Supported Users
In general, members of the University of Tokyo (faculty and students) can utilize ASK Service.
2. ASK Service supports the following types of questions.
- Questions regarding the University of Tokyo
- Questions about materials held at the university (status checks, guide to use, etc.)
Additionally, ASK Service supports the following types of questions from members of the University of Tokyo (faculty and students).
- Guide to bibliographies, reference materials, and related libraries
- How to search for documents based on a certain theme
- How to search for information on a subject (things, events, people, etc.)
- Methods of use for databases and electronic journals (some can only be used on campus)
The following types of questions are not supported.
3. Response period for questions
- Appraisals of items such as old books, or estimations of market value
- Assisting in deciphering, annotation, translation, or excerpting materials
- Matters that infringe on personal privacy
- Personal advice, legal or medical advice
- Preparation of comprehensive bibliography
- Completion of academic or work assignments
- Introduction of researchers
In general responses are made within one week, however please be aware that at times such as holiday breaks and the year end/new year, and depending on the contents of the questions, additional time may be required. For questions requiring haste, please indicate this in the Question Title.
4. Archiving/publication in the Question Reference Database
Excluding special circumstances, please be aware that questions and answers are usually made public in the Question Reference Database after being edited as described below.
- Contents will be partially altered so that they can be used as reference tools.
- Personal information or information relating to the user will be removed.
- Questions on materials requiring particular discretion may sometimes not be made public.
5. Additional notes
- Responses are generally made by e-mail
(If the response is quite long it may not be receivable by cell phone mail.)
- For persons without access to e-mail, response can be made by phone, Fax, or letter. Be sure to record your phone or Fax number in the corresponding input field.
Also, please be aware that we may need to contact you to verify the contents of your questions.
- Please limit simultaneous questions to 3 per person.
If you have three or more questions currently being processed, please wait for a response before submitting further questions.
- Some questions may not be answered out of respect to anonymity.